Sunday, April 29, 2012

Ended like this....

We thought a hail storm was headed our way so Brian sent me back to my parents to put our car in the garage.  I thought everyone looked at me a little funny as I passed them on the street headed home...
We got on the highway and it started to hail.  It looked like Norman had made a mass exodus and so instead of waiting in traffic I turned onto 24th.  It started to rain so severely I couldn't see anything.  My mom called and about that time my car starts shaking back and forth and I say, "I think I am IN a tornado!"  I keep driving, tell the kids to sing some worship (they have NO clue how scared I am...thank you Jesus!) and Brian calls!  "Go back to my parents!" he says but I realize it is too late.  I kept driving to my parents and about the time I get to Rock Creek Road the tornado sirens go off.  Now my kids are concerned until I hit a puddle that literally feels like a ride at a water park and they all start laughing hysterically!  I tell them when we get to Lolli's to run and get in the closet under the stairs, but I'm pretty sure we are in the clear NOW:-)  After a little work we made a cozy little spot to keep us safe if we needed to go in a shelter again.
We quickly realized that I literally drove through the beginning of the tornado!  It was amazing to see the damage that it did to Norman in just a few moments.  Brian went to help our friends the Rice's who's home was hit.  I was with the kids when the power started to flicker.  Again I call my parents frantically looking for flashlights, but they like to use candles!  (That's really fun until you think of putting 4 kids in a closet with candles might be worse than a tornado!)  Don't worry we went and bought Lolli and Champ 6 fabulous new flashlights!
We were SO thankful for God's protection!!

No comments: